This post may include affiliate links. See our full disclosure. Thank you for your support!
We've just had 3 lessons all about the importance of diving into the scriptures especially the Book of Mormon and now in Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 11: Follow the Living Prophet President Benson declares:
The word of the Lord today is far more important than the word of the Lord in Noah's time because we are living in today. Have you ever come across someone that sites older prophets against newer ones? Some do it unconsciously, they just had such a great love for a past prophet that it is hard to let go and focus on the words of today's prophet. We can't keep comparing President Monson to President Hinckley or President Benson. Each is a Lord's mouthpiece and ...
When I read biographies of the prophets it amazes every time how they have been preparing for this calling basically their entire life. The Lord raises up prophets.
Another important point to remember is that the words of the prophet is scripture. I know there are those out there that say something like, "Just because it was said during General Conference doesn't make it scripture." Actually, just because the prophet said it does make it scripture. People will come up with every excuse and some excuses sound really valid until you stop and realize what they are really saying. The truth is when we follow the prophet whether or not we completely understand it, we will be in the right. That doesn't mean we don't have the right to receive our own personal testimony of his words though. You can absolutely go to the Lord in prayer and ask if what the prophet has said is true. You have the right to that personal witness. The combining power of knowing the prophet speaks the words of the Lord and your own witness of its truth will help you stay the course. "We will be given a chance to choose between conflicting counsel given by some. That's why we must learn- and the sooner we learn, the better- to keep our eye on the Prophet, the President of the Church."
Click the images above to print
You can find all the prophet images on LDS.org- just search for them in images.
- Ask what some of the recent words from the Prophet have been- do a group discussion or handout markers and fill up the white board with phrases
- Cut up quotes from President Monson's words and break into groups to discuss it and ways it can be applied into your life. Have each group write a sentence on the board or sum up at the end.
- Do you follow the prophet? You can follow them throughout social media and be reminded of their teachings during the week (it's one of my favorite things). Here's the church's official list for accounts on Facebook or check out all their social media sites.
- Bring the last 3 General Conference issues or First Presidency messages that President Monson gave and briefly go over his words (be careful you don't take the 4th week's lesson with this last General Conference talk)
- Do a "Who Said it Game?"- President Monson or .... There are lots of ideas on Pinterest. Here is a Prophet or Disney character version.
- Looking for a little more? Several sisters have recommended "The Ready Resource for Relief Society"
Organize your thoughts and find more quotes to print in the Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 11 Study Journal available in the Market.
"Come, Listen to a Prophet's Voice"- Hymn #21
"God Bless Our Prophet Dear"- Hymn #24
"Come, Sing to the Lord"- Hymn #10
"Oh, Holy Words of Truth and Love"- Hymn #271
"Great Is the Lord"- Hymn #77
"Let Earth's Inhabitants Rejoice"- Hymn #53
"The Iron Rod"- Hymn #274
Questions to Ponder
- What does learning to "keep your eye on the prophet" mean to you?
- Why is the most important prophet the current President of the Church?
- What messages have we recently received from the living prophet?
- Has there been a time that you have followed the prophet's counsel even though you haven't completely understood it? What can you learn from your experience?
- What are some blessings you have received by being true to the grand key President Benson identifies in section 4?
Suggested Study Schedule
Grab the Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 11 Study Journal to help you get more from your study (includes a list of President Monson's most recent addresses)
Join the discussion in our Private Facebook Group
Watch Living According to the Words of the Prophets (45 seconds)
Watch We Need Living Prophets (about 3 minutes)
"Live according to the Words of the Prophets" by Sister Carol F. McConkie
"Sustaining the Prophets" by Elder Russell M. Nelson
"Stay in the Boat and Hold On!" by Elder M. Russell Ballard
"Give Heed unto the Prophets' Words" by Elder Quentin L. Cook
"Our Very Survival" by Elder Kevin R. Duncan