This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting this site! See the full disclosure.
Starting with Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 17: Keeping the Law of Chastity we begin to hit the tougher subjects (the next chapter is all about pride). Remember to balance the sensitivity of this topic because so many are really struggling with it personally or with someone they love. I suggest focusing on the principles more than the examples and on the prevention more than the actual sin. Something I found interesting in this lesson was even Joseph Smith knew that chastity would be a great challenge in our day. President Benson mentions several times throughout the chapter that:
Interesting that we call it the law of chastity. It will never change and there are severe consequences for breaking it. Last month I decided to try out a new subscription service to stream movies. It's a smaller company than the ones you normally hear about and it's known for having family friendly movies. In fact one of their tests to see if they will select the movie for their service is to see if it's something the whole family can watch together. I was really looking forward to being able to have more quality films without the filth. I'm SO disappointed! That's not what they are at all. With the exception of a few movies, most of them aren't family friendly. A lot have a "little bit" of nudity or "only" suggestive language and others are worse. In the eyes of this company, that's okay. As I've been thinking more and more about this subscription service I keep thinking, "This is how Satan is going to get more people." It has all the guise of being uplifting, wholesome movies but then they throw in a little bit here, a little more there, carefully leading you down the path to sin. Needless to say, I canceled my subscription. There is so much out there that is uplifting, there is no reason to waste time on things that aren't. We have be diligent though and seek out the good to avoid the evil. It takes time but,
We can't allow a little bit in because if we do, that little bit keeps pushing the door open and eventually you'll have no idea how you ended twisted up in addiction or committing serious sin. How are you arming yourself against Satan's deceptive plan? How are you preventing unclean things coming into your home? How are you arming your family to fight back?
- I love this video from LDS.org, Chastity: What Are the Limits? It explains things so well and is great for the youth especially. Show it in class before or while talking about how to educate the youth.
- The Red Headed Hostess has made this great Chastity Flipbook that also includes a group teaching experience.
- Consider using these handouts as you teach your children about Chastity. Have a refresher course before you teach this lesson so you can relate your experiences with the class. It doesn't matter how old your children are, you can still have a refresher course.
- 30 Days of Sex Talks is amazing book to help parents teach children about intimacy. I highly recommend them. There are 3 age groups so you can start talking with your children as young as age 3 and keep talking with them until they are off to college. Read more about these great books here.
- Find the Addiction Recovery Manual as well as other great resources here. Find support for the family members of those with addictions here.
- Do something similar to the opening of the chapter as an object lesson- bring white gloves and have someone try to take something out of a dirty jar.
- Starting September 1st, Mormon Channel with be releasing a new episode of 12 Steps to Change everyday on social media. While it deals with all different types of addictions, there is at least one that will deal with the law of chastity. Keep your eye out for it and watch the trailer for all the episodes now here. The important part here is that while addiction is real, so is recovery.
(comes in 2 sizes so check which pages you want). If you appreciate this study guide, please come like Chicken Scratch n Sniff's Facebook page too!
"As Zion's Youth in Latter Days"- Hymn #256
"Dearest Children, God Is Near You"- Hymn #96
"God Is in His Holy Temple"- Hymn #132
"True to the Faith"- Hymn #254
Questions to Ponder
Looking for more insights and questions to ponder? Head to the Market and buy the Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 17 Study Journal. It's full of additional questions, handouts, and resources.
- How does the Lord's standard differ from the world's messages about chastity?
- What consequences come as result of violating the law of chastity to those who sinned and those that love them?
- How do you guard yourself and your families from sexual temptation?
- What thoughts and feelings come to you as you read about the Lord's promise to welcome back the repentant?
- Why should you give specific instructions to children about chastity at an early age?
- How does parents' faithfulness to this law influence their children about marriage and chastity?
- What are some of the blessings that come from keeping the law of chastity?
Suggested Study Schedule
"Personal Purity" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
"We Believe in Being Chaste" by Elder David A. Bednar
"Cleansing the Inner Vessel" by President Boyd K. Packer
"A Tragic Evil among Us" by President Gordon B. Hinckley
"Place No More for the Enemy of My Soul" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
Looking for additional ideas and help? Come join the Chicken Scratch n Sniff Private Facebook Group (different than the fan page) where we discuss each chapter.