The Ezra Taft Benson manual has been organized so well. The last four lessons has essentially all been about reading the words of the Lord. In Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 12: "Seek the Spirit in All You Do" we study the importance of keeping the companionship of the Holy Ghost. These two concepts go hand in hand. "The most important thing in our lives is the Spirit" and in order to maintain His companionship we must be reading the scriptures. "Daily scripture study invites the Spirit."
I can't say enough how grateful I am to have the gift of the Holy Ghost. The guidance and direction from the Holy Ghost in the seemingly simplest ways to the huge life changing moments has made all the difference in my life- it's why Chicken Scratch n Sniff exists today. I was watching "Meet the Mormon" on Netflix this past week and was reminded of this lesson over and over. The Candy Bomber began because he followed a prompting to turn around and give 2 sticks of gum to the children behind the fence. That instance grew into something that had a tremendous impact in that country. No matter how small or silly a prompting may seem to us, it is so important to listen and do it anyway. You never know the impact it will make or the road it will take you down.
President Ezra Taft Benson goes on to say,
This is a principle we all know but sometimes forget when following through in our actions. A testimony is an ongoing spiritual journey. We must have the Holy Ghost testify to us again and again as we continue to learn and grow in the wisdom of the Lord. We learn line upon on line and need to keep the Spirit nearby so we can obtain that next step of knowledge. If we ask ourselves honestly, "When was the last time I felt the Holy Ghost," is it recent enough?
- If you can, play a clip from "Meet the Mormons" There are several stories that mention following a seemingly insignificant prompting that turned into something amazing. You could even end the lesson with song, "Glorious" at the end of the movie.
- Take time to discuss the spiritual wrestling that Enos went through. Sometimes the knowledge we seek won't be given until we have thoroughly studied it out in our minds, prayed, fasted, and wrestled with it. It's part of the growing process! The key is knowing where to turn to find the answers throughout your struggle- the words of the prophets.
- Read some of the passages in the manual or scriptures suggested then take time to meditate in class. Watch to see how people meditate- do they write things down, close their eyes, pray? What insight do they give when you start again?
- Take a picture and put a colored transparency over it to represent viewing things without the Spirit. Remove it to suggest how much clearer we see things with the Spirit and how much more we notice.
If you like these lesson helps, be sure to come like Chicken Scratch n Sniff's Facebook Page too!
"Again, Our Dear Redeeming Lord"- Hymn #179
"Behold Thy Sons and Daughters, Lord"- Hymn #238
"Dearest Children, God Is Near You"- Hymn #96
"Father in Heaven, We Do Believe"- Hymn #180
"God of Power, God of Right"- Hymn #20
"Great Is the Lord"- Hymn #77
"I Know My Father Lives"- Hymn #302
"Let the Holy Spirit Guide"- Hymn #143
"Lord, Accept into Thy Kingdom"- Hymn #236
"Lord, Accept Our True Devotion"- Hymn #107
"O Lord of Hosts"- Hymn #178
"Our Father, by Whose Name"- Hymn #296
"Our Savior's Love"- Hymn #113
"Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer"- Hymn #103
"Testimony"- Hymn #137
"The Light Divine"- Hymn #305
"We Meet Again as Sisters"- Hymn #311 (Women)
Questions to Ponder
Grab the Ezra Taft Benson Chapter 12 Study Journal to help you organize your thoughts
- Despite the pressures of daily life, how do you remain sensitive to the Spirit?
- How do you feel the Spirit? How do you recognize His promptings?
- What lessons can you learn from Enos about seeking the Spirit?
- How does daily scripture study help you be more open to the promptings of the Spirit?
- What is the difference between meditating on and reading the scriptures?
- In what ways is our ability to receive inspiration based on our efforts to keep the commandments? Why do you think that is?
Need more ideas? Be sure to join the conversation in our Private Facebook Group (different than our fan page).
Watch Continuing Revelation (about 1 1/2 minutes)
Watch The Lord Speaks through the Scriptures (about 2 minutes)
"Receiving by the Spirit" by Brother A. Roger Merrill
"Seeking the Spirit of God" by Elder Douglas L. Callister
"Quench Not the Spirit Which Quickens the Inner Man" by Elder Keith K. Hilbig
"Receive the Holy Ghost" by Elder David A. Bednar
"The Gift of the Holy Ghost- A Sure Compass" by President James E. Faust
Remember to grab your Study Journal in the Market!