One of my goals this year is to get my kiddos more involved in the dinner process so every Friday, someone gets to be the Chef. Friday's Chef gets to pick the meal, make a list of ingredients and see which ones we need, cook the meal, set the table, and do the dishes. Of course, some of these are modified according to age and my 2 year old practically demands to help with every meal and we let him. So far I like that I don't have to plan at least 4 meals a month and that the child who cooks will definitely eat it.
My oldest started us off today. She and I have different taste buds, so I wasn't thrilled when she picked a meal with tuna but I didn't want to ruin it so I just said, "Great!" Her favorite thing to eat is spaghetti so she picked a recipe that she hadn't tried yet but was still comfortable for her, Spaghetti with Tuna and Tomato Sauce. We based our recipe off of Rachel Ray's but ours is not so fancy.
Spaghetti with Tuna and Tomato Sauce
- Box of Spaghetti (we actually used Linguine though- easier for the little ones to pick up with a fork)
- Chopped onion
- Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- 2 cans of Tuna, drained (6 oz each)
- 1 jar of Tomato Sauce
1. Start cooking the pasta.
2. While the pasta cooks, add onions and a bit of red pepper flakes to a skillet. I don't use oil, just a tiny bit of water. My onions actually are frozen so I just throw those in plain and use the moisture from them being frozen to act as a non sticking agent. It works just fine.
3. Add tuna and mix well with the onions and red pepper flakes. When mixed through, stir in the jar of tomato sauce. We choose Classico's Traditional for tonight.
4. After pasta is cooked and sauce is warm, mix the two together well. Serve with Parmesan cheese and a green salad.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy. My oldest did a great job cooking everything and she really, really loved eating it. AND she didn't complain too much about doing the dishes.
Tonight's theme was Dance Party! Every time you hear a new song at dinner, you have to get up and dance. It was definitely a lot of fun! When we weren't dancing we picked from our Topic Jar. Tonight's topics and my answers are below. Add your answers in the comments!
1. If you had to pick one food to eat for every meal for a week, what would it be? (Green chili chicken enchiladas please)
2. How would you describe Daddy? (Funny, helpful, my rock)
3. What was your favorite part of the day? (Snuggling with my youngest and cooking with my oldest)