This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for your support. See the full disclosure.
How blessed we are to have living prophets and apostles! Every year we study a different prophet in Priesthood and Relief Society. We study their lives and their words. Every 6 months we gather together to listen to the general leadership of the church and be edified. Every month we can read through Church magazines and gain further direction. Every day we can read on social media their words of wisdom. How amazingly blessed we are to have such direction. As President Howard W. Hunter said,
In Howard W. Hunter Chapter 7: Continuous Revelation through Living Prophets we remember how much the Lord loves us as He continually guides and supports us. How many times have you sat through a message from the prophet and heard exactly what you needed at that exact moment? It's amazing how personal each message is. As you read this chapter, find time to reread the last general conference sessions. Strengthen your testimony, remember the answers you received, and the feelings you had as you listen to the prophets of the Lord.
- Be sure you've read the latest First Presidency Message. Maybe there is a way to tie it in together (If it's a conference edition, go back another month).
- Get photos of all the latter-day prophets. If your library doesn't have them, you can get them on LDS.org. Put them up all over your board. Ask someone to come up and put them in the right order. While there may be some that do it, you're goal is to pick the ones that will struggle a little. In the end, note that the most important thing to know is who is the Prophet and President now. It's neat to know the overall order but that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
- You can do the same thing with the current First Presidency and apostles and challenge people to put them in order of seniority. After someone has tried, ask them what some of men have recently taught us. The most important thing in this instance not being the order as much as the words they have spoken recently.
- Refer back to Chapter 5 and review the meaning of a prophet, seer, and revelator.
- Use some of the questions from my October 2015 General Conference Dinner Discussions. And if you sign up for The Chicken Feed (weekly newsletter) you'll get a new set after the April sessions.
- How do you make General Conference apart of your life? Have someone write down all the answers shared then send an email with them as a reminder after class.
- Ask people what they remember about the last General Conference. Open your lesson with a discussion or break into groups to discuss for a bit. Then share your own experience (or ask someone else beforehand to share). One of the things that really stuck with me from October 2015 was the spiritual strength that came from President Monson.
- Primary 4 Lesson 11 has an attention activity that would work well for this lesson as well. We can stumble on our own and keep trying hoping to eventually remember or get it right or we can open our ears and listen the word of God through his prophets showing us the way.
- Remember to come join our Private Facebook group as well to bounce off ideas with other teachers like you.
If you are having problems with the video, you can watch it on YouTube.
"'Twas Witnessed in Morning Sky"- Hymn #12
"Come, Listen to a Prophet's Voice"- Hymn #21
"Come, Sing to the Lord"- Hymn #10
"God Bless Our Prophet Dear"- Hymn #24
"Oh, Holy Words of Truth and Love"- Hymn #271
"Thy Holy Word"- Hymn #279
Questions to Ponder
- Why has there been prophets in every dispensation?
- What are the roles of a prophet?
- How can you help children gain a testimony of the prophets?
- How have you been blessed through having a living prophet?
- Why is it important to have an continual stream of revelation flowing from God to His living prophets?
- How can you tell that we are in spiritual feminine?
- What experiences have you had about the following the words of the prophet?
- Why is it helpful to understand that only the President of the Church can receive revelations for the entire church?
- How is knowing that you will never go amiss if you follow the prophet comforting to you? How has it sustained you?
- What are some teachings from the last general conference that have influenced your life?
- What answers did you receive in the last general conference?
- How can you make general conference a more powerful influence in your life? your home? your family?
- How have the words of the prophets clarified doctrine for you?
- How do you allow yourself to receive of the spiritual abundance available to us because of living prophets?
- How do you gain a testimony of the words spoken by the prophet?
Suggested Study Guide
Watch: We Need Living Prophets (about 3 minutes)
Watch: Testing Revelation (about 1 1/2 minutes)
"Chosen to Bear Testimony of My Name" by Elder David A. Bednar
"Living Prophets, Seers, and Revelators" by Elder Dennis B. Neuenschwander
"Hear the Prophet's Voice and Obey" by Elder Robert D. Hales
"Prophets and Prophecy" by Elder LeGrand Richards
"Obedience to the Prophets" by President Claudio R. M. Costa