This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for your support. See the full disclosure.
I love how Howard W. Hunter Chapter 8: Taking the Gospel to All the World starts with a quote from 1979, "I fully believe that in the near future we will see some of the greatest advancements in spreading the gospel to all nations that have ever taken place in this dispensation or any previous dispensation. I am sure that we will be able to look back in retrospect.. and record as Luke did, 'And the word of God increased.'" Think of all the things that have changed within the past 5 years alone! The Lord's work will continue to move forward. Will you help?
The leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have made it incredibly easy for us to share the gospel. The Easter and Christmas campaigns are great examples but they also have social media pages with quotes and videos to share. Have you been taking advantage and sharing the gospel in these little ways? I love how this chapter talked about how we put up walls. Most obstacles in missionary work are man made. We put them up ourselves! If we are willing to let the Lord remove those stones for us, amazing things can happen. Are you ready to take that leap of faith?
- This chapter's handouts are coloring pages. There are 3 different ones with quotes from the manual. The idea is to encourage your class to ponder the lesson after you've taught so they will apply it more. Encourage them to share the coloring pages with their family and talk about how they can do missionary work together. Click the image to print.
- Take parts of Preach My Gospel to incorporate into your lesson. Several chapters are just as applicable to the everyday missionary as it is for the full-time ones. Use this Preach My Gospel Study Journal to help you prepare or print out a few pages for your class.
- Start by discussing the covenants we make a baptism. What does it mean to be a witness? Those of us that have been baptized have agreed to be missionaries. Are we doing our part?
- More ideas via my video. I'm experimenting with some new video sites as I'm not thrilled with what I've been doing. Currently, this video is only available on Facebook- Figured out how to straighten it out and post it on YouTube now too. It's available below now.
- Practice being a member missionary yourself! Read some of the Be a Missionary Now posts on this site such as Small and Simple Ways You Can Share the Gospel or Pinned On Our Hearts: How to Be a Great Member Missionary and implement them in your life this week. Keep a journal of all the things you tried, when you felt the Spirit prompt you and your resulting actions. What blessings did you notice as you opened your mouth and heart?
- Take a few minutes to talk about how to best help those that have decided to leave the church. Mandy writes a great post on how to be the right kind of friend when this happens.
- Read about why all these bloggers are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Listen to their stories and the outcomes of their willingness to share their testimonies or take a leap of faith. Also consider sharing part of "Meet the Mormons" in your lesson.
- Looking for a great treat to include? My Computer is My Canvas makes theses Missionary Chocolate Nugget Wrappers that are perfect for this lesson.
- Ask some Returned Missionaries to come in and sing one of the hymns above or “We’ll Bring the World His Truth” in the Children’s Songbook pg. 172
- Bring objects that you carry around with you regularly or that you have prominently displayed in your home that help you spread the gospel without being high pressure. Example: I used to wear a Return with Honor ring that people would always ask me about. It was an easy way to spread a little bit of the gospel and sometime lead to a longer conversation.
- Make the whiteboard in the classroom like a Pinterest board. Print out some pictures of things that you would normally pin including some church related items. I’ve seen a lot of temple pictures that people pin simply because they are beautiful photos but the pinner isn’t LDS. When they click on the link though, they can learn more. Lots of LDS quotes are like this as well. Talk about having a church Pinterest board on your accounts and making sure they link back to something that will explain more about the church.
- Think about others that have strengthened your testimony. Missionary work happens amongst members as well! Who has helped you?
- Invite your ward’s full time missionaries to come in and share some experiences. Ask them to bring extra copies of the Book of Mormon or pass along cards to challenge others to share (or bring some yourself). Ask them to pass around a calendar to do splits or visits with them as well.
- Invite the ward or stake missionaries (not full time- it’s their church calling) to come and explain the mission goals for the area. Have them share how they spread the gospel and what you can do as well.
- Invite a family history consultant in to share how family history is a great missionary opportunity. Check out the #MyForeverFamily challenge for lots of ideas to include family history in your life and share the resources with others.
- Hand out blank pieces of paper as people come in. Ask each person to write down one missionary fear or excuse they have to not share the gospel. When they are done have them put it into a jar or basket (no names on the papers). Draw from it during class and talk about ways to overcome these stumbling blocks.
Click the image to print the handouts
There are a whole lot of missionary related songs in the hymnal. Find a way to include a little music in your lesson this week with these ideas.
"Men Are That They Might Have Joy"- Hymn #275
"Now We'll Sing with One Accord"- Hymn #25
"The Iron Rod"- Hymn #274
"Arise, O Glorious Zion"- Hymn #40
"Arise, O God, and Shine"- Hymn #265
"Because I Have Been Given Much"- Hymn #219
"Behold! A Royal Army"- Hymn #251
"Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy"- Hymn #335 (Men's Choir)
"Called to Serve"- Hymn #249
"Come, All Whose Souls Are Lighted"- Hymn #268
"Come, All Ye Sons of God"- Hymn #322 (Men)
"Faith of Our Fathers"- Hymn #84
"Go Forth with Faith"- Hymn #263
"Go, Ye Messengers of Glory"- Hymn #262
"Go, Ye Messengers of Heaven"- Hymn #327 (Men's Choir)
"God Be with You Till We Meet Again"-Hymn #152
"God Bless Our Prophet Dear"-Hymn #24
"Hark, All Ye Nations!"- Hymn #264
"How Wondrous and Great"- Hymn #267
"I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go"-Hymn #270
"Jehovah, Lord of Heaven and Earth"- Hymn #269
"Let Zion in Her Beauty Rise"- Hymn #41
"Like Ten Thousand Legions Marching"- Hymn #253
"O Saints of Zion"- Hymn #39
"Rejoice! A Glorious Sound Is Heard"- Hymn #257
"Saints, Behold How Great Jehovah"- Hymn #28
"See the Mighty Priesthood Gathered"- Hymn #325 (Men's Choir)
"See, the Mighty Angel Flying"- Hymn #330 (Men's Choir)
"The Light Divine"- Hymn #305
"The Time Is Far Spent"- Hymn #266
"The Voice of God Again Is Heard"- Hymn #18
"Thy Holy Word"- Hymn #279
"We Are Sowing"- Hymn #216
"Ye Elders of Israel"- Hymn #319 (Men)
"Ye Who Are Called to Labor"- Hymn #321 (Men)
Questions to Ponder
- How does remembering that every person is literally our brother or sister make sharing the gospel easier?
- How does Heavenly Father feel about His children according to section 2?
- Do you sometimes put up walls because someone doesn't meet your criteria for sharing the gospel? What can you do to better love all people?
- How have you been blessed through the Atonement?
- What does the Atonement have to do with missionary work?
- What things can you do to increase your desire to share the gospel with others?
- Have you been blessed by sharing the gospel? How have you been blessed by someone sharing the gospel with you?
- What other walls do you put up that stop you from being a missionary? How can you tear down these walls?
- When was the last time you shared the gospel with someone? How did it go?
- Do you regularly included the gospel in your daily conversations?
- How have you seen the Lord open up parts of the world or people to hear the gospel?
- Do you believe the Lord will help you overcome all obstacles in sharing the gospel?
Suggested Study Guide
Looking for more great ideas? Come join our Private Facebook Group and learn from others teaching this lesson and share your own thoughts.
"Why Every Member a Missionary?" by Elder Richard G. Scott
"Becoming a Missionary" by Elder David A. Bednar
"The Essential Role of Member Missionary Work" by Elder M. Russell Ballard
"We Are All Enlisted" by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland
"Sharing the Gospel" by Elder Dallin H. Oaks