As you teach Primary 5 Lesson 13: The First Missionaries Preach the Gospel remember the overall purpose is to encourage everyone to share the gospel as well as to develop the necessary skills to become a successful missionary.
- Preach My Gospel would be great to use for part of this lesson. In the back of each chapter there are additional study and application sections that you can use to challenge your class.
- Read these great tips for teaching children to share the gospel from Lara at The Overstuffed Life.
- Instead of collecting papers as stated in the Attention Activity, use balloons! You can tape the pictures onto the balloons are draw happy faces with a sharpie on the balloon. Then have a child try to kick them into a fishing net (or something similar).
- Send this D&C 14:7 poster home with your class to paint or color and memorize.
- The Art of Choosing Joy also as free posters for D&C 4:2.
- And of course, The Red Headed Hostess has a lesson packet full of things to help you teach.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
Activity Day Rescuers (about 5 1/2 minutes)- Primary girls share their missionary experiences inviting friends to Activity Days.
Samuel Smith's Mission (about 2 minutes)- An illustrated scripture story depicting Samuel Smith's missionary experiences.
A Mission to the Lamanites (2 minutes)- An illustrated scripture story about missionaries visiting Native Americans.
Missionaries in Other Lands (about 2 1/2 minutes)- An illustrated scripture story about missionaries in England and Palestine.
Missionary Song Medley (about 4 1/2 minutes)- A music video showing children being missionaries and preparing to go on a mission.
Your Day for a Mission (about 3 1/2 minutes)- The story of a New Zealand rugby player who decides to serve a mission.
I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go (about 5 1/2 minutes)- A video showing how important member missionaries are.
"I Hope They Call Me on a Mission"- Children's Songbook pg. 169
"Called to Serve"- Children's Songbook pg. 174
"I Want to be a Missionary Now"- Children's Songbook pg. 168
"The Church of Jesus Christ"- Children's Songbook pg. 77
"The Things I Do"- Children's Songbook pg. 170
"We'll Bring the World His Truth"- Children's Songbook pg. 172
My Primary 5 Lesson 13 handouts include
- 20+ people to use in the Attention Activity. I used various examples to help draw the conclusion that we can reach people anywhere at any time.
- Fish- Grab a stick, some string, a magnet, and lots of paper clips. Attach paper clips to each fish and go fishing. The scenarios go with Enrichment Activity 3. Blank fishes are included so you can add additional scenarios if needed.
- "Be a Lifesaver- Share the Gospel" word strip. Attach the word strip to a singly wrapped twizzler then transform it into a fishing pole with a string and paperclip. Attach a singly wrapped lifesaver to the paperclip as the catch of the day. I saw this idea on Pinterest but couldn't find a link to it, only a photo.
At the Pageant- A look and search activity where children can find people for the sister missionaries to teach at the Hill Cumorah Pageant.
The Gospel Will Be Preached in All the World- A missionary-themed memory game.
Help the Missionaries- A maze activity to get the missionaries to their appointment.
Helping Feed the Savior's Lambs- Three pictures that show children helping other children. You could either use these for coloring or use them to discuss ways children can do missionary work.
I Can be a Missionary Now- A game board you can print to play a game about being a missionary.
I Can Choose to be a Missionary Now- Pictures of questions people could ask about the gospel. This is great to use in class as you talk about how to answer people's questions.
I Will Prepare- A certificate you can print for members of your class with a challenge from President Monson to prepare to serve a mission.
Life of a Missionary- A word puzzle to solve about the daily schedule of a missionary.
Matching Missionaries- Find the companionship of missionaries that matches another set of missionaries then discuss five ways your class members can match the actions of missionaries.
Mission Call- Find the hidden objects in this scene of a sister missionary opening her mission call.
Missionary Appointment- Help the missionaries find the right door by matching it to a picture of the door they need to find.
Missionary Quest- Search through a scene in a park to find the people the missionaries are supposed to teach.
Sharing the Book of Mormon Around the World- Match the correct Book of Mormon to the correct country.
Love Your Neighbor Adventure- Teach your class that when they choose they right they are being missionaries. This is a game your class play about choosing the right.
First Missionaries- Illustrated pictures you can use to tell the story of the first missionaries.