As you teach Primary 5 Lesson 14: Emma Smith Selects Sacred Hymns, remember the purpose is to encourage the desire to sing sacred hymns as they worship Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
- Play Guess That Tune with the LDS Media App. Instead of challenging each other to how many notes you need before you guess, use number of seconds they need you to play on your phone.
- The Red Headed Hostess has illustrations to coincide with the stories in the lesson as well as other activities for this lesson. You can save time and money by purchasing her combo packets or really dive into the music part of the lesson with this Singing Time Packet.
- Download some of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir videos to show your class as they color a picture.
- Review what the For Strength of Youth says about music.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise noted.
"The Music of the Gospel" by Elder Wilford W. Andersen
"The Nourishing Power of Hymns" by Elder Jay E. Jensen
"Worship Through Music" by Elder Dallin H. Oaks
I also highly recommend Deseret Bookshelf Plus. It's great spiritual nourishment for your week- my whole family uses it all the time. It's our favorite app.
Joseph and Emma (about 2 1/2 minutes)- An illustrated scripture story about Christ's instructions to Emma Smith.
The Relief Society (about 1 1/2 minutes)- An illustrated scripture story about the organization of the Relief Society.
An Elect Lady (about five minutes)- A video showing events from Emma Smith's life.
My Primary 5 Lesson 14 handouts include
- Song Cards- Pick a card and sing the song according to the directions. This is an excellent lesson to use the new LDS Media App. You can create a playlist beforehand and use it during your lesson.
If you like these lesson helps, please pin it so others can find the content too. Thanks!
Joseph Smith Marries Emma Hale- Scripture figures you can use to tell the story of Emma and Joseph and the first hymn book.
A Faithful Girl Named Emma- Pictures from the life of Emma Smith with descriptions you can have your class match to the pictures.
Hymn Scramble- Unscramble the titles of several hymns from the Hymn Book.
Listen, Listen- A fun game where children say nonsense words, but if you listen closely they are the names of Primary songs.
A Musical Picnic- Find a message by filling in the names of musical notes.
Primary Songs- Use picture clues to figure out the titles of Primary songs.