As you teach Primary 5 Lesson 41: The Saints Settle the Salt Lake Valley remember the main purpose is to understand that keeping the Sabbath day holy is one way we can show gratitude for the blessings we receive from Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
- While I don't recommend bringing treats weekly, if you feel your class has earned it, bring in Brigham Young's Buttermilk Doughnuts.
- Make some temporary houses (simple forts) at the beginning of your lesson for your kids to be inside while you go over life in the Salt Lake Valley.
- Play the Find A Pioneer Game again as you go through the questions.
- Practice thanksgiving with this 4 week challenge. You can assemble the items in class and deliver or meet during the week.
- The Red Headed Hostess has great story activities included in her class packet.
The following links are to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
The Saints in the Rocky Mountains (about 3 minutes)- An illustrated Doctrine and Covenants video about the Saints colonizing the West.
Saturday is a Special Day (about 1 1/2 minutes)- A video about keeping the Sabbath day holy.
Upon My Holy Day- Honoring the Sabbath (about 1 1/2 minutes)- Elder Holland talks about ways to keep the Sabbath holy.
"Pioneer Children Sang As They Walked"- Children's Songbook pg. 214.
"Saturday"- Children's Songbook pg. 196
"Can a Little Child Like Me?"- Children's Songbook pg. 9
"I Thank Thee, Dear Father"- Children's Songbook pg. 7
"Westward Ho!"- Children's Songbook pg. 217
"Remember the Sabbath Day"- Children's Songbook pg. 155
"When I Go to Church"- Children's Songbook pg. 157
My Primary 5 Lesson 41 handout packet includes
- LDS Scattergories card to go with Enrichment Activity 3- You will have to pick a letter for them to use. Cut the answer sheet in half lengthwise then fold the top over so no one else can see the answers while writing. To continue the Scattergories fun get more LDS themed cards here.
- List of Sabbath Day activities taken from the quotes cited in Enrichment Activity 1
- Scripture poster for Enrichment Activity 5.
Gathering to Zion- Place illustrated pictures of people on a map showing how they got to Salt Lake.
Log Cabin- Find hidden objects in this picture of a family celebrating the completion of their new log home.
Mormon Pioneers- A word search about pioneers.
Pioneer Maze- Follow the maze to help the pioneers make it to their new home.
This is the Right Place- Find the hidden objects in this picture of Brigham Young arriving in the Salt Lake Valley.
Pioneer Puzzle Game- A board game about pioneers where you complete a puzzle as you move around the board.
Sabbath-day Activities- A list of ideas of things to do on Sunday. You could cut them into strips, hide them around the room, and discuss them as a class.
Getting Ready for Church- Find hidden objects in this picture about getting ready for church.
Going to Church- Find your way through a maze to find a friend's house and the chapel.
Sunday Box: Pencil Spin- A game you can give to your class for a Sunday activity at home, or you can play this with your class.
Lily's Sunday Morning- Help Lily find matching socks and things for her church bag in this illustrated hidden objects picture.
Remember Jesus Christ During the Sacrament- A sacrament wheel craft you can make to remind your class of what to think about during the Sacrament.
Sunday Activities- Unscramble words about what we should do on the Sabbath.