In Sister Jean B. Bingham's October 2017 General Conference talk, "That Your Joy Might Be Full," she encourages us to learn of Jesus Christ, have faith in Him, and emulate Him.
If I've learned one thing while going through my extensive hospital stay and cancer treatment it is what Sister Bingham stated in the beginning of her talk, "Lasting joy is found in focusing on our Savior, Jesus Christ, and living the gospel as demonstrated and taught by Him."
- How do you find joy despite the difficulties of life?
- How can you strengthen your faith in Jesus Christ?
- How do you let Christ into your life?
- How have you come to know that Jesus Christ understands you perfectly?
- How can you open yourself to hear Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ's answers?
- When have you experienced, "peace...which passeth all understanding"?
- What are some specific ways you can emulate Jesus Christ?
- How can you share your blessings with another?
- "Why is trying to do as He did so powerful?"
- "Are our testimonies built on the bedrock foundation of Jesus Christ and His gospel?"
- "When the storms of life press upon us, do we frantically look for a how-to book or an internet post for help" or do we turn towards the Lord?
- "What brings you joy?"
From the Church, "Sister Bingham’s message can help members of your Relief Society or quorum understand how to find joy, despite life’s difficulties, as we come unto Christ. One way to discuss her message might be to draw a path on the board leading to the word joy. Invite several members to write on the path a suggestion from Sister Bingham’s message that leads to true joy. Encourage members to consider ways they can act on Sister Bingham’s counsel. Invite several members to share their thoughts."
These are my ideas. My hope is that reading my thoughts will be a springboard to finding the right plans for your class. Remember you are leading a discussion, not teaching a lesson so you may only need one of these ideas.
- Begin with a musical number of "Where Can I Turn for Peace?" (Hymn #129)
- Do we avoid doing something good and right because it seems too simple? For example, one way we can come closer to God is through scripture study and prayer. Do we believe that or does it seem too simple? You can use the example of Moses holding the brass serpent on a pole to heal those bitten. Many didn't look because it didn't seem possible.
- Divide into groups with each focusing and discussing one of the three categories Sister Bingham used, "Learn of Jesus Christ, Have Faith in Jesus Christ, and Emulate Jesus Christ."
- Use my Living Christ advent to easily break your class into groups. Give each group a card or two and have them discuss what we can learn about Jesus Christ in that section then share it with the class as you write the key points on the board. I made plain blue envelopes so it doesn't look so much like Christmas which you can download using my button below. You can also challenge your class to memorize it.
- Make a Power Point presentation with the words of the Living Christ- breaking it up into small sections and using available images on LDS.org. You can have someone play Hymn #129 as it plays.
- Spend tie pondering what brings you joy with these free Rejoice Journal printables or encourage daily awareness with this simple Happiness Journal page.
- Sister Bingham mentions "building blocks of a joyful life." As you discuss what these might be, build with real blocks. You could even put paper over some so in the end it would spell the word, "Joy." You could also bring blocks that don't fit because not everything leads to joy.
- This lesson packet from The Red Headed Hostess about why Jesus Christ is important in our lives would also go well with this lesson. She also has a great one on finding peace in Christ.
- Use this booklet as you discuss coming unto Christ by learning of Him. Or use this video from Elder Jeffery R. Holland.
- This poster from LDS.org would make a great handout or visual.
- This page has 4 videos about coming unto Christ including a theme song which you could use with a slideshow presentation. The attributes one would be great to discuss with all three of Sister Bingham's sections.
- You could also discuss a few of the different names of Jesus and how that helps us better learn of, have faith in, and emulate Him. For example, here's a great definition of the name Christ.
- Use the example of a glass half full. Ask people if they see it as half full or half empty. Then explain that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ want us to be FULL of joy. How can we fill the rest of our glasses?