The purpose of Primary 3 Lesson 5: The First Vision is to help everyone know that Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
- Jumbo size your lesson with these handouts from Latter-day Chatter
- I always recommend reading the First Vision directly from the scriptures. It brings the Spirit into the room a way nothing else can.
- This packet about the First Vision from The Red Headed Hostess contains 7 learning activities and helps. She also now has a combo packet to help you save time and money.
- Spend time discussing how we can each find a special place to pray like Joseph Smith did.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
"Joseph Smith's First Prayer"- Hymn #26
"The Sacred Grove"- Children's Songbook pg. 87
"An Angel Came to Joseph Smith"- Children's Songbook pg. 86
"On a Golden Springtime"- Children's Songbook pg. 88
"The Golden Plates"- Children's Songbook pg. 86
"This is My Beloved Son"- Children's Songbook pg. 76
A Seer Will I Raise Up (about 5 minutes)- Joseph Smith is prepared to bring about the restoration
Joseph Smith's First Vision- Illustrated scripture story
Seeker of Truth (about 2 minutes)- Describes Joseph's search for truth
Special Witness- Elder Christofferson (about 6 minutes)- Testifies of Joseph Smith's First Vision
The Restoration (about 20 minutes)- The First Vision
Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ Appeared to Joseph Smith (about 6 minutes)- Elder Christofferson testifies of Joseph Smith
My Primary 3 Lesson 5 handout packet includes
- James 1:5 poster in two sizes
- Finish the drawing sheet- I put trees on the sheet, have your class finish the scene to coordinate with Enrichment Activity #1
- Prayer worksheets to go with Enrichment Activity #2- Depending on the age you can write or draw your answers here.
Joseph Smith- Prophet of the Restoration- Make a shoe box scene of the First Vision
Joseph Smith Finger Scenes- Finger puppets to tell the story
The Life of Joseph Smith- Map out the events in Joseph Smith's life
Partial Pictures- Figure out the scenes of these partial pictures with these scriptures
Jesus Christ Restored the Fulness of the Gospel through Joseph Smith- Make a spin wheel of the First Vision
Joseph Smith's First Vision- Color pictures to go with the story and make a movable character and scene
The First Vision- (older classes) Quiz with scriptures to find the answers
This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!- Put together this church with scenes from the first vision