The purpose of teaching Primary 5 Lesson 16: The Saints Gather to Kirtland, Ohio is to help everyone strengthen their feelings of unity and love within their families and Primary class.
- Show your class this video then challenge them to do it- just be careful no one gets hurt! It's a great object lesson for unity. There are also these fun unity activities.
- FYI- the attention activity in the manual with work with toothpicks as well. You could also use a rope analogy instead of just string- it takes several strands to make a strong rope.
- Marci Coombs also has free unity printable and neat treat idea that coordinates with unity.
- The Red Headed Hostess also has their lesson packet which includes a helpful map.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
"That We May Be One" by President Henry B. Eyring
"'Come, Follow Me' by Practicing Christian Love and Service" by Elder Robert D. Hales
With all these church history lessons, "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith" would be another great resource. Psssttt... It's included in a Deseret Bookshelf PLUS subscription. Read more about PLUS or let me hook you up with 30 days for free.
The Church of Jesus Christ in Kirtland (about 2 minutes)- An illustrated video of Joseph Smith choosing counselors and other leaders and building the temple in Kirtland.
What Matters Most (1 1/2 minutes)- A video from President Monson's talk about showing love to our family.
Love One Another (about 2 minutes)- A music video to the Primary song, "Love One Another" showing examples of love.
My Primary 5 Lesson 16 handout packet includes
- Develop Unity in Your Ward Today- Cut the strips on the bottom so people can tear off one strip at a time. Use this with Enrichment Activity 1.
- We Think You're Great- Take time to unify your class during this lesson. Write the person's name in the middle then pass the papers around. Each box has a different challenge on it to make it a little more fun like instead of writing, "You're nice" they have to draw it or sound it out like on these LDS Mystery Words. You can also do this on a white board and take a photo to send to them later.
Please continue to support this website by pinning this post for others to discover too. Thanks!
Knitting Our Hearts Together- A maze for family members to work through as they work together.
Gathering to Zion- Illustrated figures of families and a map showing places where the saints gathered in the early days of the Church.
I Have a Family and Friends- Fill a BINGO board with things we can do to build stronger relationships with our family and friends and then play BINGO as a class.
Working Together in Palmyra- Solve a word puzzle based on pictures of pioneers.
Joseph Smith Lives in Ohio- Scripture figures you can use to retell the story of Joseph arriving in Ohio at the Whitney Store.