The purpose for teaching Primary 5 Lesson 31: The Extermination Order is to appreciate some of the difficulties faced by early members of the Church as well as to strengthen our desire to listen and obey the prophet.
- To further understand this time, you may want to study this video about the Joseph Smith Papers: Richard Jensen and Missouri Mormon War and this summary of the accounts from Women in the Scriptures.
- I know this is a sensitive subject but it's also important to teach and learn from it. We certainly don't want this history to be repeated.
- If you are Chicken Feed subscriber (newsletter), look up the General Conference quotes I shared with you a few months back and bring the ones from President Thomas S. Monson to discuss some of his teachings. Don't worry, they are still available for download if you didn't. The link and instructions are at the bottom of every newsletter.
- You could also play this Follow the Prophet game with the handouts included in the Primary 3 Lesson 8 helps.
- Remember to also take advantage of the great lesson packets found at The Red Headed Hostess.
The following links are to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
We Need Living Prophets (about 2 1/2 minutes)- Members of the Church testify of the importance of a living prophet.
Continue in Patience (about 2 1/2 minutes)- A lesson about patiently waiting for greater rewards.
God Will Lift Us Up (about 5 minutes)- A young woman talks about making the most of the trials she has been given.
The Saints Leave Jackson County (about 2 minutes)- An illustrated Doctrine and Covenants video about the Saints forced to leave Missouri because of the mobs. Use this to review the situation of the Saints before the extermination order.
"Follow the Prophet"- Children's Songbook pg. 110
"Keep the Commandments"-Children's Songbook pg. 146
"We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet"- Hymns no. 19
"When I Hear the Prophet's Voice"- A sing-a-long music video.
:Choose the Right Way"- Children's Songbook pg. 160
"I Will Follow God's Plan"- Children's Songbook pg. 164
My Primary 5 Lesson 30 Handout Packet includes
- Wordstrips to go with Enrichment Activity 1
- Follow the Prophet worksheet to go with Enrichment Activity 2
Follow the Prophet- A search and find activity looking for objects in a picture of the prophet at General Conference.
Follow the Prophet- Make your way through a maze by following instructions from prophets.
Sharing Time: The Prophets' Examples- Get to know latter-day prophets with this matching game.
Sharing Time: God Speaks Through Prophets- Match scriptures to prophets and learn more about their lives.
Sharing Time: Obedience Brings Blessings- Color pictures of how you can follow the prophet.
Sharing Time: Listen to a Prophet's Voice- Make a carousel of pictures that show how we can follow the prophet.
Truth Revealed- A word puzzle about prophets.
Latter-Day Prophets- A digital memory game of the prophets.