As you teaching Primary 5 Lesson 9: Witnesses See the Gold Plates remember the overall purpose is to help everyone desire to be witnesses of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.
- Have the missionaries come in and share their testimony of the Book of Mormon as well as they joy they receive as they witness of it. If they can, have them bring extra copies of the Book of Mormon to challenge your class to share a copy as well. Print these templates so they can write down their testimony inside.
- Bring a plate of some delicious treats in- plenty to share with others. At the beginning of your lesson thoroughly enjoy it in front of everyone without offering anything to anyone and saying "No" when they ask. Compare this to how we sometimes shy away from sharing the Book of Mormon with others but shouldn't because it is something so delicious.
- The Red Headed Hostess lesson packet includes great helps for this one as well. You can also save time and money by purchasing her combo package which includes helps for lessons 9-12.
The following are links to LDS.org unless otherwise stated.
Get the Conversation Started
My Book of Mormon Dinner Discussions would also be great for this lesson. Use these discussion topics to get the conversation started, talk about important principles, and help your class come to know the stories in the Book of the Mormon. It's a great way to practice witnessing among friends and get more familiar with the scripture stories.
Witnesses See the Gold Plates (2 minutes)- Illustrated scripture story of witnesses testifying of seeing the gold plates.
Special Witnesses- Elder Gary Stevenson (about 4 minutes)- Elder Stevenson bears his testimony on the Book of Mormon.
The Testimony of the Three Witnesses (about 3 minutes)- Elder Oaks speaks about the importance of having a witness. This is better for older classes.
Preparation of Joseph F. Smith: True Blue, Through and Through (1 1/2 minutes)- When confronted by angry men, Joseph F. Smith would not deny his testimony.
Book of Mormon Testimonies (about 3 1/2 minutes)- Prophets and apostles talk about the importance of getting a testimony of the Book of Mormon.
My Primary 5 Lesson 9 handout packet includes
- 3 Witnesses info sheets- Pass out a week ahead to 3 people in your class to present about these people during your lesson.
- Book of Mormon Journal- Let your class take time to witness of the Book of Mormon to themselves. Staple the journal pages together then cut along the cover outline.
Witnesses of the Book of Mormon- Pictures and testimonies of the witnesses to the Book of Mormon with a printable page for your class to write their testimonies of the Book of Mormon.
The Witnesses and the Gold Plates- Illustrated pictures with descriptions that you can use to help tell the story of the three witnesses and the eight witnesses.
Golden Plates to Book of Mormon- Follow along a game board path learning how the Book of Mormon came to be and the role the three witnesses played.
Gaining a Testimony- Solve the code to learn what you can do to build your testimony.
Testimony Tool Box- Cut out pictures of tools that build testimony and put them in the tool box.