Welcome to a new year of teaching LDS Primary!
This year we will be studying the Doctrine and Covenants and Church History in Primary 5 (Senior Primary). You may want to bookmark the Church History Time Line found in the manual so you can easily refer to it as you go through the year.
In each lesson help on this blog you will find:
- Lesson with Teaching Thoughts- Find the link to your lesson plus a few teaching ideas from me to help you brainstorm what is right for your class.
- Teacher Study- Before each week, strengthen your testimony and understanding of the gospel principles. I like to use some of the seminary and institute teacher manuals too for personal study. You can find them on LDS.org or get the Kindle version (it's free) for Doctrine and Covenants and Church History Seminary Teacher Manual. Gospel Principles is also cited in the Preparation section of the lessons a lot so be sure to bookmark it too.
- Videos- Illustrated scripture stories or others available on LDS.org to show in your class. You can find all the Doctrine and Covenants Illustrated Stories here.
- Music- Put some music on as your class enters the room to create a reverent atmosphere or while they are doing worksheets. Try singing a few songs together or use it as background music for a slideshow presentation.
- Scriptures- Use these additional scripture verses to dive deeper and gain a bigger understanding of the gospel principles.
- Activity Ideas and Coloring Pages- These are from the Friend, New Era, or other LDS.org resources. Some lessons will have a lot of activity ideas and others not so much unfortunately- I don't have control over that. I will try to provide more handouts or Teaching Thoughts when the pickings are slim though.
- Handouts from Me- I always try to coordinate these with the Enrichment Activities found at the end of the each lesson, however, you will still need to get approval from your Primary Presidency to use them- send your President the link to my site and get approval for the year.
There are NO Easter or Christmas specific lessons in this manual, however, if you have the oldest class you should plan to teach Lesson 47: The Priesthood Can Bless Our Lives before the first person in your class turns 12.
Additional Resources You May Find Helpful
Be sure to stop by the Teaching Tip section on the blog where you can find answers to commonly asked questions.
Go Beyond the Coloring Page
You have all said it- coloring pages get old after awhile even for the most avid colorer. Transform your coloring pages into some more with these ideas:
- More than a Coloring Page: 10 Unique Uses for Your LDS Lessons
- 6 More Ways to Use the Same LDS Coloring Page
Even the oldest classes likes to color from time to time if you give them the right opportunity.
The Primary 5 lesson helps are new this year so I will put each post up just as soon as I'm able. Have a great teaching year!