The purpose of teaching LDS Primary 6 Lesson 28: David and Goliath is to encourage us to seek Heavenly Father's help in overcoming obstacles in our lives.
These are a few bonus ideas- keep scrolling for more!
- Try this fun bag activity idea from Rachael's Booknook.
- Use my block object lesson instead of the stones in the Attention Activity. Bring a small doll and several big blocks. Cover the doll in blocks. You can give each block a name like or just like them to the hard things in our lives. Then show what happens when we take the difficulties of life with Heavenly Father's help. Instead of piling the blocks on top, use them to build a stair case with the blocks with the doll on top.
- These balloon poppers would also be a fun sling shot alternative.
- Gather your own stones with the application activity included in The Red Headed Hostess class packet.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
The Lord Will Deliver Me- Elder Dallin H. Oaks (Quorum of the 12 Apostles) tells the story of David and Goliath- there are some video clips. About 3 1/2 minutes
David and Goliath- Illustrated Scripture Story about 2 1/2 minutes
Goliaths All Around You- President Gordon B. Hinckley (former Prophet and President) compares Goliath to today's challenges. About 2 minutes
Look for Principles- Elder Dallin H. Oaks discusses the story of David and Goliath with seminary students. About 2 1/2 minutes
Men's Hearts Shall Fail Them- Elder Russell M. Nelson (Quorum of the 12 Apostles) tells a story of an airplane failure and how faith can get us through anything. About 3 1/2 minutes
Mountains to Climb- President Henry B. Eyring (First Presidency) reminds to keep the faith throughout difficult circumstances. Gives examples of 3 different people around the world and challenges they are facing right now. About 5 minutes
Trial of Adversity- A woman becomes paralyzed and shares how she overcomes that challenge. About 2 1/2 minutes
Visualizing David and Goliath- A seminary students explains what he learns from this account (about 30 seconds).
LIVING SCRIPTURES STREAMING VIDEOS
You can now download or stream Living Scripture videos. You do have to get approval from your Primary Presidency before using them but they are great!
Alma 36:27- Testifies of being supported through trials
2 Nephi 2:11- Opposition in all things
D&C 121:7-8- Adversity for only a small moment
D&C 122:5-8- All these things to give experience and for your good
My Primary 6 Lesson 28 handouts includes
- Goliath figures- fold in half then fold the white parts underneath the feet. Attach the blank white parts together to make it into a triangle that can stand on it's own (like the figurines in my Easter kit). Bring a ping pong ball or something similar and let your class try to knock Goliath over after they answer a question. To keep things under control, the ping pong ball much bounce on the table two times before hitting Goliath.
- Goliath target- same concept- throw balls of socks or make your own slingshot and try to hit the target after answering questions. Here's a neat pvc pipe sling shot you can make or try this one made out of toilet paper tubes.
David and Goliath- Dot to Dot
David and Goliath- Figure out which sling has the rock
David and Goliath- Make a scene for telling the story (scroll down)
You Can Conquer Giant Problems- Mormonad poster
David- Scripture figure poster
David and Goliath- Illustrated scripture story
Sometimes My Life is Difficult- Journal Page
Adversity Can Make You Strong- Mormonad poster