The purpose of teaching LDS Primary 6 Lesson 32: Rehoboam is to encourage everyone to stand up to negative peer pressure and being a positive influence.
These are a few bonus ideas- keep scrolling for more!
- Use the stars idea and free handout from Rachael's Booknook to encourage good choices.
- It can be helpful to discuss how to respond to specific common phrases used to pressure someone into a situation. See ideas and common taunts from Christianity Cove. There are also these common tactics.
- Fill in your own map of Israel with the handout included in the Red Headed Hostess class packet.
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
Faith Promoting Incidents- About 30 seconds from Elder Robert D. Hales about sharing your faith promoting moments with friends
The Vineyard- About 4 minutes how youth shared their love and influenced others to come to church
No Cussing Club (about 5 minutes)- One boy's example and it's far reaching effects.
My Primary 6 Lesson 32 handout packet includes
- I Dare You Cards- This is a great opener activity to introduce what peer pressure can feel like (or do it after discussing the scripture story). When we are given a dare we are automatically more pressured into doing it. Show how it's okay to say No by asking someone ahead of time to turned down the dare with you graciously moving on to the next person. Sometimes it's not a big deal to say No and sometimes we'll be pressured to do it more. Discuss what to do in those situations.
- Situation cards as mentioned in the Enrichment Activities
- Moroni 7:13 print. Have your class write around it some things that are of God as a reminder.
- People that can help me worksheet as mentioned in the Enrichment Activities.
If you like these handouts, please pin it so others can find it too!
Your Personal Influence- President Thomas S. Monson shares about how great our personal influence can be. From General Conference 2004. "As we follow that Man of Galilee—even the Lord Jesus Christ—our personal influence will be felt for good wherever we are, whatever our callings."
Stand Out- Mormonad
Don't Fall For It- Mormonad
What if...- Love this question and answer since so many will face it
Good by Association- Great story on positive peer pressure.
Matt & Mandy- Comic about making good choices and wondering if it really matters
Family Fun Time: Social Skills- More role-playing situations you can use.
School Wise- A board game with situations you practice.