These are a few bonus thoughts- keep scrolling for more!
- Use this great Matching Mat from Latter-day Chatter (it's free) as you emphasis that everyone is a child of God.
- The Red Headed Hostess now has Primary 1 lesson helps. The one to match this lesson includes 16 pages to help you teach this lesson including a folder activity.
- With this age, you may want to divide your lesson into small 2 minute activities- Introduce the lesson towards the beginning and the main point then about mid way through reintroduce it and do another activity. Finally towards the end, do the coloring activity and leave the children with your testimony.
- Find more thoughts below with each activity idea.
The following are links to LDS.org unless otherwise stated.
I am a Child of God (about 3 minutes) This is the hymn sung by several different people in an absolutely beautiful way. When I was previewing, all my kids stopped and came over. They loved it! It would be great to just watch or to do a sing along.
I am a Child of God (about 3 1/2 minutes)- Video presentation of the song with people from around the world
Precious Children (about 1 1/2 minutes)- Matt & Mandy are children of God
A Child of God (about 1 minute)- Matt learns he is always a child of God
A Child of God (about 2 minutes)- Liliana realizes she is a Child of God (For Little Friends)
My Behold Your Little Ones Lesson 1 handout packet includes
- "I Am a Child of God" word stips- cut apart to put on your poster as mentioned in Optional Activities
- Clouds- Use the bigger ones to attach the children's photos on and the smaller ones for decoration
- Rainbows and Flowers- Add some color and decor to your poster
You may also want to use these tie, necklace, and crown handouts depending on the ages in your class.
Crowns- Crowns are fun to make and definitely fit with this theme. Use my template or use bulletin board borders and cut down to the right size making it super easy. Put a picture of each child on the crown and paste on the words "I am a Child of God." Glue pasta or beans onto the crown or get out the stickers.
All Dressed Up-Act this one out with some props and lots of little ones. There is also an activity below this article called "We are All Children of God" that you could do with older kids. It would be even more fun if you brought in a couple of magnifying glasses and copies of the map for everyone to do!
I am a Child of God- This one points out how God has made us each different and given us different talents. I would use stickers if I could since it would be easier than cutting and gluing but older kids could do that just fine. Lots of other ideas too that could be adapted for nursery.
I Know Heavenly Father Loves Me-There is a picture frame handout you can print here then draw or attach a picture of the child to it. You could hang up the pictures in your nursery room or attach them to crowns if you made them small enough.
Mirror- To introduce the lesson or to do with the coloring page above, you could first hand (or show) a mirror around and have everyone look in the mirror. Ask each child what he/she sees. Then tell them, they are seeing a child of God.
Know Who You Are-This is a fun one with paper plate puppets to go with a short poem. It is bound to at least get the littlest one's attention.
"I am a Child of God (II)"-This is definitely for older kids but I like one of the ideas which can be adapted for the younger (but older nursery): Pass a ball around to music. When the music stops, the child holding the ball has to say one way they know God loves them. For clues, you could hold up a picture and the child has to say what is going on the in the picture.
Moses Pictures-There are a couple of pictures of Moses in the Gospel Art Book that you could use as well.
You Are Not Invisibile- Poster