Primary 1 Lesson 1: I am a Child of God- the purpose of this lesson is to help each child understand that we have a Heavenly Father who knows us and loves us.
These are a few bonus ideas- keep scrolling for more!
- Use this great Matching Mat from Latter-day Chatter (it's free) as you emphasis that everyone is a child of God.
- The Red Headed Hostess now has Primary 1 lesson helps. The one to match this lesson includes 16 pages to help you teach this lesson including a folder activity.
- Bring some props in for the pantomime activity to add more fun- a missionary badge, baby doll, chef's hat, etc. Take a photo of each child and email it to their parents after church with a summary of what you talked about so they can continue the conversation at home.
- If you have time, take photos of some of the people in your ward doing their jobs or callings to go with Enrichment Activity 1. It's a great way for your class to get to know the ward members better and emphasize the point.
The following are links to LDS.org unless otherwise stated.
"Because God Loves Me"- Children's Songbook pg. 234
"I am Like a Star"- Children's Songbook pg. 163
"Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam"- Children's Songbook pg. 60
"We'll Bring the World His Truth"- Children's Songbook pg. 172 (Army of Helaman)
My Primary 1 Lesson 1 handout packet includes
- Paper Crown- Print on heavier paper, color, and decorate with self-adhesive gems. Attach the extra strip to the crown and slip over their heads.
- I Am a Child of God Tie- Color, add googly eyes and attach some ribbon so they can wear them home.
- I Am a Child of God Necklace- Get some yarn or curly ribbon to glue on hair, color, then add ribbon to make a necklace. If you want the activity to take longer, add some beads- just be sure they have nice big holes like these ones so everyone can enjoy the activity.
If you like these lesson helps, please pin them so others can find them too!
You are not invisible- Bright Idea poster
A Child of God- Finish the faces (a boy and a girl)
Heavenly Father Loves Me- Scroll down and cut these snowflakes out before class then decorate them in class
Know Who You Are- Make stcik puppets with these faces and do some fun small skits or sayings as each child holds one
I am a Child of God- Frame with pictures to cut out and glue around it. I like the concept but think it would be annoying to cut out all the pictures- stickers would be great though!
We Are All Children of God- Find the matching pictures and talk about even though we are all different, we are all still children of God
I am a Child of God- This is supposed to be a yearly advent but it would be fun to do just like a puzzle- read the scriptures with it or pull things from the lesson to put it together.
I am a Child of God- A box to put together- I'd skip the scripture part for this age but I'm sure you could have fun with the box still- roll it like a dice and talk about each scene.