The main purpose for Primary 5 Lesson 2: The Apostasy and the Need for the Restoration of Jesus Christ's Church is to understand that Christ's church was taken from the earth because of apostasy and has been restored to earth today.
- Use the Cups Lessons to explain the need for the restoration. It's a great visual (you could even have the missionaries come into your class and do this part)
- Use the timeline and scripture activity in this lesson packet from The Red Headed Hostess.
- If you have gears or a similar item like toy featured on the Tricks of the Motherhood Trade blog, it's great visual for discussing the Restoration.
- Add some fun with Restoration Headbandz from Little LDS Ideas (it's free) and the images are already church approved
The following are links to LDS.org resources unless otherwise stated.
A Search for Truth (about 15 1/2 minutes)- Wilford Woodruff's search helps explain the need for the Restoration.
Apostasy-Jan (about 2 minutes)- Jan shares about the Apostasy
After the New Testament (about 3 minutes)- Illustrated scripture story
The Restoration (about 19 minutes)- Live action reenactment of the First Vision
The Apostasy and Restoration (about 2 minutes)- Paul forewarns of the apostasy
My Primary 5 Lesson 2 handout packet includes:
- Information sheets for John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, and Roger Williams- If you are planning early enough, give each strip to a different child so they can present about that person on Sunday.
- Journal page- fill out as a class, at the end of your lesson as review, or send it as homework
"This Is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!"- Build a 3D church with restoration walls
Jesus Christ Restored His Church in the Latter Days- Use the coins in this treasure chest with wordstrips you prepare according to the manual (Preparation #4)
Partial Pictures- Match the photos to the scriptures- You could include it with the Attention Activity in the manual.
The Church of Jesus Christ Has Been Restored- Discover the hidden pictures
Joseph Smith Prophet of the Restoration- Scene to assemble with Joseph Smith