Many have said how excited they are to study the words of the prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley this year. Others have expressed their enthusiasm for diving into church history. How many of you will actually turn it into studying the lessons though? Don't just say you are excited, follow through with it!
There are so many excellent resources to study in combination with the church lesson manuals. Get a lesson schedule from your ward and prepare before you attend class.
Gordon B. Hinckley
Priesthood and Relief Society will be studying Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Gordon B. Hinckley. Get the Gordon B. Hinckley manual online at LDS.org and in the Gospel Library App. The online versions give you access to the audio which I love (listen while you get ready in the mornings). Currently, there is a Kindle version that you can also download for free (at least in the USA) if you prefer that format. If you would rather have a physical format (including large print and Braille) the best place to get it is at LDS Distribution. Other resources you may find helpful as you study the teachings and life of the prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley are:
- Go Forward With Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley by Sheri L. Dew- Over 650 pages detailing the life of President Hinckley and how he was prepared throughout his life to become the President of the Church at that time. It's a great read.
- Prophets of the Restoration Gordon B. Hinckley- View this visual outline of President Hinckley's life on LDS.org. It includes video segments, lots of photos, and brief historical paragraphs.
- Gordon B. Hinckley Time Line of Life Events- This online version is great because the timeline can be organized into Personal, Professional, and Church Service or all together. It also includes links to several videos.
- Stand a Little Taller: Counsel and Inspiration for Each Day of the Year- Great quotes and insights from President Hinckley for each day of the year. These make great mini devotionals for your morning or quick Family Home Evening lessons.
- Gordon B. Hinckley: a Giant Among Men- This is a DVD. I have not watched it but all the reviews give it 5 stars. Watch it on a Sunday or for FHE.
- Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes by Gordon B. Hinckley- This is another great book. I read it as a teen and still like it. Make these 10 virtues your goals for the year.
- 2017 Commentary on Lessons 1-25 Gordon B. Hinckley by Kelly Merrill- Kelly writes at Mormon Basics. He includes his thoughts throughout the manual so it's like reading his notes. It's free with Kindle Unlimited and you can look at a few pages to see if it is something that you would use first.
- The Ready Resource for Relief Society- Teaching of the Presidents of the Church: Gordon B. Hinckley by Trina Boice- I have never used these but many of you have recommended them. Each lesson has a chapter summary, quotes, hymns, object lessons, and more to help you teach. You can take a peek inside it to see if it something you would like.
- Way to Be! 9 Ways to Be Happy and Make Something of Your Life by Gordon B. Hinckley- This is a great book for young adults. Read it together with your youth and discuss what parts you like.
- Testimony of Gordon B. Hinckley- About a 2 1/2 minute video clip of the President Hinckley's testimony.
- Ministry of Gordon B. Hinckley: Temple Building- About a 2 minute video of temple building across the world.
- General Conference Talks by Gordon B. Hinckley- This is a list of every General Conference talk given by President Hinckley.
And of course, you can dive deeper into every chapter on this site as they become available. Each chapter help includes Teacher Study, Questions to Ponder, Teaching Thoughts, and more.
Doctrine & Covenants and Church History
Senior Primary (Primary 5) and Adult Sunday School will be studying the Doctrine & Covenants and Church History in 2017. Prepare before you head to class as the student or teacher with some of these resources:
- According to LDS Media Talk, the Doctrine and Covenants and Church History: Gospel Doctrine Teacher's Manual (adult class) has be updated online but not print yet. You can find additional resources for the "Helps for the Teacher" section, new links under many of the "Preparation" sections, and the right column will include related images, videos, Gospel Topics, and articles about events in Church History. The Class Member Study Guide has not changed.
- Doctrine and Covenants Study Book- Great Study Book from The Red Headed Hostess to help your organize your thoughts, impressions, and insights.
- Doctrine and Covenants Section Titles- This is a free printable from The Red Headed Hostess that has titles for each section to help you understand what is going on. This would be really great for the Senior Primary classes.
- Revelations in Context is a new book from the Church History Department that includes helpful insights to the stories behind the revelations in the D&C. It is online, in the Gospel Library App, and in print in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- The Church History Study Guide provides additional resources for each lesson in the Gospel Doctrine Teacher Manual. Use it for FHE the week before or after the lesson is taught to discuss the truths with your family.
- Understanding Prayer Flipbook for Kids- This booklet will take you through 4 scripture stories (Enos, Joseph Smith, the Liahona, Zacharias and Elisabeth) as well as point out the pattern and language of prayer- great for discussing the First Vision and the power of prayer in Senior Primary.
- Our Heritage: A Brief History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints- Great resource for background information on Church history. This book is often referred to in the reading assignments for the adult class. You can access it online or get it from Church Distribution.
- Historic Sites Pages- This is online gallery of the early church sites. You can view galleries and more. If you are planning on taking a trip to Nauvoo this year be sure to read these top 5 tips plus where to get free mementos. If you are heading to the New York sites, here are my inside secrets. And if you are planning on visiting Temple Square- be sure you see all there is to see.
- Church History Museum- There are always online exhibits that you can use for personal study, FHE lessons, or your lessons at church.
- The Scriptures Mapped- This is a BYU resource that maps where the events happened in the scriptures. It includes all the scriptures and maps it out by sections or chapters.
- A Year of FHE has a great Church History FHE lesson about Saving the Book of Commandments that would be great for your family this year.
- If you need a reading chart, try this one from LDS Gospel Source.
- LDS Media Talk mentions additional resources if you want even more!
You can also find additional study materials for every lesson in the Primary 5 manual each week on this blog.
Your Turn- What additional resources have you found to study?