It has long been requested that we have lesson helps for the Sunbeams (Primary 1) and we finally do! Hooray! Primary 1 lessons are basic principles that the children can easily relate to. Before you prepare your first lesson, read the Teaching with This Manual section found at the front. It gives tips on how to prepare, suggestions for activities, as well as how to best transition from Nursery to Primary.
In each lesson help on this blog you will find
- Lesson with Teaching Thoughts- Find the link to your lesson plus a few teaching ideas from me to help you brainstorm what is right for your class. This is a new addition this year that I will be adding on as we go.
- Teacher Study- Before each week, strengthen your testimony and understanding of the gospel principles.
- Videos- Illustrated scripture stories or others available on LDS.org to show in your class. Generally for this age though, super short clips are best.
- Music- Put some music on as your class enters the room to create a reverent atmosphere or while they are coloring. Try singing a few songs together or use it as background music.
- Activity Ideas and Coloring Pages- These are from the Friend, New Era, or other LDS.org resources. Some lessons will have a lot of activity ideas and others not so much unfortunately- I don't have control over that. I will try to provide more handouts or Teaching Thoughts when the pickings are slim though.
- Handouts from Me- I always try to coordinate these with the Enrichment Activities found at the end of the each lesson, however, you will still need to get approval from your Primary Presidency to use them- send your President the link to my site and get approval for the year.
Remember there are special lessons for Easter and Christmas- lessons 45 and 46.
Additional Resources You May Find Helpful
Be sure to stop by the Teaching Tips section on the blog where you will find answers to commonly asked questions and additional resources for holiday lessons.
If you are new to teaching Sunbeams, check out this Sunbeam Teacher Kit for helps and ideas.
Go Beyond the Coloring Page
You have all said it- coloring pages get old after awhile even for the most avid colorer. Transform your coloring pages into some more with these ideas:
- More than a Coloring Page: 10 Unique Uses for Your LDS Lessons
- 6 More Ways to Use the Same LDS Coloring Page
One of the best tools here, however, is you! Come join our Private Facebook Primary Teachers group and share your ideas, questions, and support.
Find Your Lesson Helps Below (in reverse order)
I will be updating each post throughout the year but all the lesson helps are available.